1. Explain the lawmaking, representation, and oversight functions of Congress.
2. Compared with past eras, there are now fewer conservative Democrats and fewer progressive Republicans in Congress. How has this development increased the importance of parties and party leaders in Congress? How has it increased the chances of partisan deadlock on key legislative issues?
3. Define the Whig theory and stewardship theory of the presidency.
4. How did the expansion of the federal government and America’s role in foreign affairs increased the power of the presidency over time?
5. Contrast the pre-1972 and post-1972 methods of selecting presidential candidates.