Read Ch. 2 Native American Music. Describe the following terms/questions:
Describe the general locations where the majority of the Sioux, Iroquois, Zuni, and Navajo tribes live.
Describe the general Navajo lifestyle. Talk about their work, recreation, schools, religion, clothing, transportation, etc.
Describe 2 major characteristics of circle dance songs in Native American Tribal music
Describe the difference between competition powwows and traditional powwows.
Describe some general features of the Northern powwow singing style.
Who are Bear Creek? Describe their singing style.
Describe the (general) physical set up of people at a powwow event.
Describe what you may find at a craft booth of a powwow event.
When do powwows typically occur? Describe a general schedule of events at a powwow.
How are dance competitions organized?
What are specials?
What do mens and womens fancy style dances emphasize?
Describe the different types of regalia between men and women.
When and where did the Native American Flute Revival begin?
Who is known for making the Native American flute more popular worldwide? Describe some of his major accomplishments.
What significant developments in the 1990s helped promote Native American Music to broader audiences?
Ch. 4 Black America
1. Describe the differing functions of work songs, religious songs, and blues songs.
2. Explain why it is necessary to understand African American life experiences in order to understand African American music.
3. Discuss the historical development of blues music in North America. What types of music did it influence?
4. Who was Ma Rainey? What impact did she have on the American blues?
5. Who was Bessie Smith? What impact did she have on American jazz movement?
6. What is a jug band?
7. What was the main purpose on a work song?
8. What genres of music are known as roots, or Americana music?
9. Name some other types of roots music.
10. Name at least 3 blues singers as mentioned by the textbook.
11. Who was Bill Lucas? Describe what his version of “Poor Boy Blues” represented to Black America.
12. When did the first Blues revival occur? What happened during this revival?
13. Describe some important characteristics of the blues scale. How is this different from a typical major and minor scales?
14. How did the songs of early African Americans get passed on to others? Was the music notated?
15. What major technological development(s) helped in the spread of African American music?
16. What is a diddly-bow and how is it played?
17. What was the main theme of blues lyrics?
18. Where did downhome blues originate?
19. Where did delta blues originate?
20. Describe some characteristics of urban blues.
21. Describe some characteristics of Chicago blues.
22. Why did African Americans start to signify their music by using language codes?
DO NOT INCLUDE SOURCES OR GIVE CITATIONS, THEY ARE 100% NOT NEEDED FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT.